Saturday, July 18, 2009

Keeping your customers

Two things to cover today:

1. Why the "so what" at the end of each post?
2. What do you do to keep your customers?


SO WHAT: I decided on "so what" because it can be used to start many questions. Example: So, what is on your mind? So, what do you have to say? So what? So what about that? etc. I am hoping people will comment on what they think, what they feel or what they would like me to talk about. Lets make it interactive...So what....

WHAT DO YOU DO TO KEEP YOUR CUSTOMERS? Do you know who your customers are? No matter your profession we all have customers, knowing who they are and how we treat them is critical to your business' success. Especially in today's society when most people are looking for the "what's in it for me?", or "what will you do for me?", or "how much do I have to spend?" when they consider who will get their business.

Today I called to close a credit card account for a retail store, a credit card I have had for over a decade... one in which I am considered a V.I.P. according to the card and all the info I get from them, and they reminded me of my card status at every prompt on the automated menu. I cancelled the card because I no longer use it. There wasn't anything the company did to make me want to cancel but they also didn't do anything to make me want to keep it. More importantly when I called to close the account I didn't speak to anyone. It was completely automated. REALLY? They let their V.I.P. customers go that easily? I couldn't believe it. I was pleased it was easy and really no hassle but I thought they would at least speak to me and make an effort to keep my business. So what did V.I.P. really mean... very insignificant person? At the end of the call they let me know how I could reopen the account if I wanted to in the future. It seems really easy however, I am not sure I will even consider it since my business was that easy for them to lose.


Things to consider each day you do business:
1. Consider who your customers are, do you have multiple 'types' of customers?
2. What do you do to get their business?
3. What do you do to keep their business?

I highly suggest #3 is reviewed as often as the others. Are you making a personal connection with your customers? People want to feel like they are valued. Their time and money is important and they are giving it to you 'so what' are you doing above and beyond to deserve the continued support of your customers? How do you make them feel valued and that you NEED their business.

So what....

No comments:

Post a Comment